Welcome! Perhaps you found this blog because you recently lost a spouse. If so, you are specifically in my prayers, as I pray for everyone who reads these words. May this blog bring you comfort and help in your time of grief.

Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Choice: Turn Away from God or Turn Toward Him?


We all face hard times in life. Many things can cause us pain; the death of a spouse is perhaps one of the most painful of all.

When we face hard times we each have a choice: Will I turn away from God, full of anger that He would allow this painful event in my life, or will I turn toward God, trusting Him to help me through?

Here are some Bible verses we might consider:

*Hebrews 4:14-16, esp. 16
Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
*Matthew 11:28-30 (Jesus is speaking here)
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
*Psalm 46:1
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 
*Psalm 9:9-10
The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

In times of extreme pain, our best choice is to turn toward the Lord in faith and trust. Even when we don't understand the painful circumstances we are experiencing, we can trust in the sovereignty and goodness of God.

After all, if God is the best Source of help in times of trouble, why would I want to cut myself off from Him by running the other way? I choose to run to Him and seek His peace and strength and help.


What is your choice?



Brian T. Whitaker
www.whitakerwritings.com

Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment